Civil Litigation Lawyer Milton Ontario - When a business enterprise encounters financial problems, among the most essential things you can do is choose the right team to help you navigate the process. Insolvencies, bankruptcies and business restructuring can be among the most difficult of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of experience to help you deal with these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide representation and recommendation, leading to strategic, timely and effective solutions.
We work with business enterprises in businesses like for example airline, automotive, communications, biomedical, entertainment, construction, funeral, financial services, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing, marketing, mining, steel, retail, technology, real estate and natural resources. Our lawyers can help you with the difficulties of cross-border procedures administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive knowledge with domestic and multi-national business restructurings and reorganizations, whether court-supervised or informal. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation in the U.S. and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nevertheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require individuals involved in cross-border procedures to be well-informed regarding both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within a lot of the largest restructurings and insolvencies under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Access to the required professionals may be able to help tip the scales in your favour of results which are positive throughout insolvency or business restructuring. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skilled members across our worldwide companies in the many legal areas dealing with business reorganizations. Our firm has professionals in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, labour and employment, private and public equity, intellectual property and real property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides skilled litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders include the following:
1. We help those financially challenged businesses on the alternatives and options of restructuring, which comprises the directing and creating of formal restructuring procedures under the BIA and the CCAA.
2. In relation to companies in financial distress, we advise board members and the independent/special committees of public and private corporations.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, bondholders, trust indentures trustees, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to Canadian and cross-border restructuring procedures, we advise the formal and ad-hoc creditors committees.
5. We advise secured creditors concerning the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights in insolvency proceedings.
6. We advise trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings and proposals under the BIA, including receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. We advise equipment vendors and leasers, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings and in relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors.
8. We advise purchasers obtaining distressed assets or businesses in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We assist investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. We give counsel about various litigation issues arising in the context of bankruptcy, insolvency and business restructuring cases.
11.We prosecute and defend preference actions and litigation actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and acquiring urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf